Interplay is an opportunity for emerging or established Canadian composers who write for choir/vocal ensemble to workshop their in-progress (or recently completed) works with Kari Turunen and the Vancouver Chamber Choir.
In these workshops, composers are allotted individual rehearsal time with the professional choir and conductor. This time may be used to test completed work and/or try out new concepts. The conductor, singers and composer can discuss musical and technical features, strengths, flaws, textures, colours, notations and many other aspects of successful choral writing.
There is no fee to participate.
2021 WORKSHOP DETAILS
These workshops are open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents only.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, these workshops are being offered online via Zoom. (Kari and the singers will be together in the same room.)
TWO workshops are being offered on Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at the following times:
- 10:00am-12:00pm (Pacific Daylight Time)
- 1:30pm-3:30pm (Pacific Daylight Time)
A maximum of 8 composers will be selected to participate, and each will be given approx. 25 minutes with Kari and the choir. Observers are also welcome to attend all or part of the workshop(s).
Interested composers and observers are invited to submit an application using the link below no later than Saturday, May 15, 2021.
- Compositions must be for unaccompanied (a cappella) voices. SATB voicing (with or without divisi) is preferred.
- Text can be in any language but must be clearly laid out under each voice part. Please provide a translation if the text is not in English.
- Scores should be typeset and in PDF format. Letter size (8.5″ x 11″) is preferred.
We gratefully acknowledge the following foundations who are so generously supporting this educational program: